Accept and Continue

Cookies on this site

This site uses cookies. For more information, please see our privacy policy.
Skip to main content

GPC Meeting 6th December

Attendance: Andy Ennis, Bob Barclay, Carol Fisher, Barbara Hafford, Mark Hinds, Daphne Smith, Val Winch and Judith Alder in her role as Press and Communication Officer.

Apologies:  Dean Prescott.

Meeting opened at 10.00 hours according to Covid 19 Regulations and socially distanced.

A new Chairman was appointed – Daphne Smith and welcomed by all.

Chairman:  Welcomed the new committee members Barbara Hafford and Judith Alder then opened the meeting at 10.15 hours .

Approval of previous minutes

Proposed by Andy Ennis and seconded by Val Winch

Matters Arising

There were none.

 

Treasurers report (V Winch)                      

Approx £4.5K less than this time last year but this time last year we hadn’t yet paid of the loan for tennis £4.2K

 

Bar takings to 25 October to 5 December                              1183.39

Stock spend                                                                                       717.66

Money received -MBRA meeting 29th November 2021        40.00

 

Secretarial Report (C Fisher)

Cox Cup Divisional Final is now to be 14th August 2022 re letter from Leon King – although there was a friendly arranged with Sellindge, Mark is planning to rearrange this match. and we have confirmed the new date to Leon King.  The Sellindge game has now been rescheduled successfully.

 

Bob Barclay proposes that a Minutes Secretary be employed for the sole purpose of taking and typing the minutes whilst the Club secretary remain the contact for membership and official business. - This was discussed but did not get the full approval of the committee, therefore the status quo prevails.

 

Social members email addresses have now been completed in my Contacts Group for future mail outs. There are 196 social members, we have email address for 152, 11 have family members who have email addresses, therefore only 33 cannot be reached in this manner.

 

Fixtures (M Hinds)

We have 23 friendlies booked, the Heron league and IOT Ladies league bookings are completed.

The CWL have had meetings, Chislet are out this year, Herne Bay and Broadstairs have been voted in to CWL.

EKTL and CWL will both be 6 triples Home and 6 triples Away this year. The CWL Funday will be 25th September 2022 at Whitstable.

Cliftonville have dropped out of the EKTL but Barham are in with only 4 mixed triples, Ashford are in with 6 mixed triples or possibly only 4 mixed triples.

When this occurs there will be 1 ½ points on 4 rinks = 8 points, plus the winning team points.

Dress code for CWL for 2022 will be Greys and for EKTL for 2022 Whites.

EKTL Funday will be 20th September 2022 at Minster.

Margate and Deal friendlies will be Home and Away in the same season. Hartley have booked to come down on 7th September 2022 and Gravesend Vets are in contact.

No bookings received from our south London clubs and doubt there will be.

The Fixture book will be ready in early April 2022.

 

 

Refurbishment & Maintenance (Andy Ennis)  - Gardens and Green (Andy Ennis)

The green has been treated for fairy rings, and today with acidic compound to drive the earthworms deeper to avoid the worm casts problem. The irrigation is new and can be set to automatic, however in the present season we don’t need to turn on yet.

At the AGM an interest in the gardens was well received and I would like to say that the Facebook call from Sue Goodchild was a good idea to meet on whatever day.  Was inspirational.

The club extension – Phil Missey is confident to start the ground work before Christmas and he is easy to get hold of when required.

TDC Planning to meet the builders and set a time frame etc. The BE loan will be called on later on as required.

Patio quotes £5200 and £5800 up to the fencing or not, these need to be finalised but it was agreed that the patio should go back to the fencing with a concrete base and panels above to create a windbreak.

Should the garden plots down the Herschell Road side be turfed back to the fence with only Shrubs left to aid maintenance and allow mowing of the grass edges, To be investigated with individual plot users.

The plots that are to be concreted over will have the memorials and roses resited in the round bed near the gate in Beach Avenue.

Planned maintenance we will need a working party for both inside and outside when the building works allow.

We have had a quote for vinyl flooring internally of £10k which seems a bit steep however it does allow for levelling up where required. There are other options such as carpet tiles or heat-sealed lino. More info to be obtained.

 

Social (V Winch) 

An email has been sent to Full and Social members with email addresses giving social events through to April.

The Quiz went well and the new quiz-master was very good.

Christmas event is Full 64 people and we can only have 8 tables – if people choose to sit 7 or 9 its their choice.

Social group have a meeting set for January.

 

AOB

CF - AGM minutes of meeting 16th November 2021

Christine Rogers asked me to help her understand what was the outcome of the President decision

My analysis =

Proposal of two year term for President – agreed by members

There should be no Vice President as a Previous President could step in if required – agreed by members

The Candidates for approval be selected by the GPC, then be on the Notification list for a vote at an AGM by members

 

This being the case, means that Christine Rogers term as Club President began on 16th Nov 2021 and runs to AGM on 2023.

She entered the AGM 2021 as Ladies President which carried a 3 year term (taking over the reigns when Jenny Emms moved) Christine left the AGM as Club President on a 2 year term. 2021 to 2023

The updated Constitution must be approved by the members at the next AGM 2022 (where it will say that the term for President is 2 years).

 

Do the GPC agree with my interpretation and analysis?  This was discussed and the conclusion was The President on a 2 year term runs until 2023. 

 

We will therefore produce an addendum to the Constitution and Handbook which will be issued for inclusion in the handbook.  We have a lot of spare printed copies at present which can have the insert added.

 

A new list of First Aiders must be produced as the only one I have to hand is 2017 to 2020. There was a First Aid course on 2nd March 2020 which was not documented. This must be rectified and the list put on the notice board with the Club Officers for 2022.

The Defibrillator batteries are in order and the Pads are dated until 2028

 

BE want to tell us how to seize Golden Jubilee Opportunity in 2022 however we are doing well without their help, we already have a pay and play option, we have a casual dress code for newcomers, and the Big Weekend 27th to 29th May 2022 is our Open Day already in the Fixture Book.

 

BH – The Canasta on Wednesday afternoons and Thursday evenings is very popular however when there is no bar person the men cannot have a drink. Can there be access to the bar if she takes the money and leaves a list  and money behind the bar? 

This was discussed at length and concluded that the draught beers cannot be included as it takes certain knowledge to set up the pumps. There can be a trial period where if it is known that Babs or Simone wont be there BH must telephone of the other keyholders to open the bar for her. There can only be access to bottles.

There was also a request for another evening as a games night where people bring board games to share? There was no objection to this provided £1 per person is collected for the heat and light cover, 

 

JA – asked about newsletter AE answered as he had received a template copy of a newsletter from CG to consider for our use, he will share with Judith as Press and Communications ideas.

 

BB – New full members since 2020 have not received any guidance on induction and club procedures.

 

VW – Terry Dunn has offered to create a guide for new people and to run a group induction session before next season.  This was most gratefully received. VW will carry this forward.

VW – We need to get some shirts but from a new supplier, there is a shortage of smaller sizes which must be addressed. Val had found a company who could copy our shirts and it was agreed on the material to be used. The logo TE will be compulsory but we go ahead and order some medium ladies and small and medium men’s asap.

VW -A suggestion from SG of an honesty box for bottled water, soft drinks and crisps to be available- this was not wholeheartedly received, but Val will discuss with SG her ideas before proceeding.

VW - The tea/coffee money does not seems to be added up to much, leading to a discussion that perhaps all players including social do not know they need to pay.  Notices are in the kitchen we know – but people do not read!!!

It was suggested that the fees for Social Bowlers next season be put up to £3 per game to include a tea or coffee. This would perhaps be the solution if carried through. To be concluded in January.

VW – Gave us all a copy of the updated renewal / subscription form with explanation and emergency number to be cleared by us and for approval by 15th December 2021 – we must contact her with individual replies.

 

After a very well run meeting by our new Chairman Daphne Smith the meeting ended at 11.44 hours.

 

Date of next meeting 10th January 2022 at 10.00 hours in the clubhouse.

 

Actions to be taken

 

AE – carpet quotes and ideas

VW – shirts order asap

VW – Speak to Terry re induction group

VW – Speak to Sue re form of refreshment honesty provision

BH – Canasta and Games Night plans

CF – Report to CR about President term

CF – Create Addendum for Handbook on Presidential term

CF – Refer to the charge for social bowlers to be £3 per head – create a notice for mail out

Attendance: Andy Ennis, Bob Barclay, Carol Fisher, Barbara Hafford, Mark Hinds, Daphne Smith, Val Winch and Judith Alder in her role as Press and Communication Officer.

Apologies:  Dean Prescott.

Meeting opened at 10.00 hours according to Covid 19 Regulations and socially distanced.

A new Chairman was appointed – Daphne Smith and welcomed by all.

Chairman:  Welcomed the new committee members Barbara Hafford and Judith Alder then opened the meeting at 10.15 hours .

Approval of previous minutes

Proposed by Andy Ennis and seconded by Val Winch

 

Matters Arising

There were none.

 

Treasurers report (V Winch)                      

Approx £4.5K less than this time last year but this time last year we hadn’t yet paid of the loan for tennis £4.2K

 

Bar takings to 25 October to 5 December                              1183.39

Stock spend                                                                                       717.66

Money received -MBRA meeting 29th November 2021        40.00

 

Secretarial Report (C Fisher)

Cox Cup Divisional Final is now to be 14th August 2022 re letter from Leon King – although there was a friendly arranged with Sellindge, Mark is planning to rearrange this match. and we have confirmed the new date to Leon King.  The Sellindge game has now been rescheduled successfully.

 

Bob Barclay proposes that a Minutes Secretary be employed for the sole purpose of taking and typing the minutes whilst the Club secretary remain the contact for membership and official business. - This was discussed but did not get the full approval of the committee, therefore the status quo prevails.

 

Social members email addresses have now been completed in my Contacts Group for future mail outs. There are 196 social members, we have email address for 152, 11 have family members who have email addresses, therefore only 33 cannot be reached in this manner.

 

Fixtures (M Hinds)

We have 23 friendlies booked, the Heron league and IOT Ladies league bookings are completed.

The CWL have had meetings, Chislet are out this year, Herne Bay and Broadstairs have been voted in to CWL.

EKTL and CWL will both be 6 triples Home and 6 triples Away this year. The CWL Funday will be 25th September 2022 at Whitstable.

Cliftonville have dropped out of the EKTL but Barham are in with only 4 mixed triples, Ashford are in with 6 mixed triples or possibly only 4 mixed triples.

When this occurs there will be 1 ½ points on 4 rinks = 8 points, plus the winning team points.

Dress code for CWL for 2022 will be Greys and for EKTL for 2022 Whites.

EKTL Funday will be 20th September 2022 at Minster.

Margate and Deal friendlies will be Home and Away in the same season. Hartley have booked to come down on 7th September 2022 and Gravesend Vets are in contact.

No bookings received from our south London clubs and doubt there will be.

The Fixture book will be ready in early April 2022.

 

 

Refurbishment & Maintenance (Andy Ennis)  - Gardens and Green (Andy Ennis)

The green has been treated for fairy rings, and today with acidic compound to drive the earthworms deeper to avoid the worm casts problem. The irrigation is new and can be set to automatic, however in the present season we don’t need to turn on yet.

At the AGM an interest in the gardens was well received and I would like to say that the Facebook call from Sue Goodchild was a good idea to meet on whatever day.  Was inspirational.

The club extension – Phil Missey is confident to start the ground work before Christmas and he is easy to get hold of when required.

TDC Planning to meet the builders and set a time frame etc. The BE loan will be called on later on as required.

Patio quotes £5200 and £5800 up to the fencing or not, these need to be finalised but it was agreed that the patio should go back to the fencing with a concrete base and panels above to create a windbreak.

Should the garden plots down the Herschell Road side be turfed back to the fence with only Shrubs left to aid maintenance and allow mowing of the grass edges, To be investigated with individual plot users.

The plots that are to be concreted over will have the memorials and roses resited in the round bed near the gate in Beach Avenue.

Planned maintenance we will need a working party for both inside and outside when the building works allow.

We have had a quote for vinyl flooring internally of £10k which seems a bit steep however it does allow for levelling up where required. There are other options such as carpet tiles or heat-sealed lino. More info to be obtained.

 

Social (V Winch) 

An email has been sent to Full and Social members with email addresses giving social events through to April.

The Quiz went well and the new quiz-master was very good.

Christmas event is Full 64 people and we can only have 8 tables – if people choose to sit 7 or 9 its their choice.

Social group have a meeting set for January.

 

AOB

CF - AGM minutes of meeting 16th November 2021

Christine Rogers asked me to help her understand what was the outcome of the President decision

My analysis =

Proposal of two year term for President – agreed by members

There should be no Vice President as a Previous President could step in if required – agreed by members

The Candidates for approval be selected by the GPC, then be on the Notification list for a vote at an AGM by members

 

This being the case, means that Christine Rogers term as Club President began on 16th Nov 2021 and runs to AGM on 2023.

She entered the AGM 2021 as Ladies President which carried a 3 year term (taking over the reigns when Jenny Emms moved) Christine left the AGM as Club President on a 2 year term. 2021 to 2023

The updated Constitution must be approved by the members at the next AGM 2022 (where it will say that the term for President is 2 years).

 

Do the GPC agree with my interpretation and analysis?  This was discussed and the conclusion was The President on a 2 year term runs until 2023. 

 

We will therefore produce an addendum to the Constitution and Handbook which will be issued for inclusion in the handbook.  We have a lot of spare printed copies at present which can have the insert added.

 

A new list of First Aiders must be produced as the only one I have to hand is 2017 to 2020. There was a First Aid course on 2nd March 2020 which was not documented. This must be rectified and the list put on the notice board with the Club Officers for 2022.

The Defibrillator batteries are in order and the Pads are dated until 2028

 

BE want to tell us how to seize Golden Jubilee Opportunity in 2022 however we are doing well without their help, we already have a pay and play option, we have a casual dress code for newcomers, and the Big Weekend 27th to 29th May 2022 is our Open Day already in the Fixture Book.

 

BH – The Canasta on Wednesday afternoons and Thursday evenings is very popular however when there is no bar person the men cannot have a drink. Can there be access to the bar if she takes the money and leaves a list  and money behind the bar? 

This was discussed at length and concluded that the draught beers cannot be included as it takes certain knowledge to set up the pumps. There can be a trial period where if it is known that Babs or Simone wont be there BH must telephone of the other keyholders to open the bar for her. There can only be access to bottles.

There was also a request for another evening as a games night where people bring board games to share? There was no objection to this provided £1 per person is collected for the heat and light cover, 

 

JA – asked about newsletter AE answered as he had received a template copy of a newsletter from CG to consider for our use, he will share with Judith as Press and Communications ideas.

 

BB – New full members since 2020 have not received any guidance on induction and club procedures.

 

VW – Terry Dunn has offered to create a guide for new people and to run a group induction session before next season.  This was most gratefully received. VW will carry this forward.

VW – We need to get some shirts but from a new supplier, there is a shortage of smaller sizes which must be addressed. Val had found a company who could copy our shirts and it was agreed on the material to be used. The logo TE will be compulsory but we go ahead and order some medium ladies and small and medium men’s asap.

VW -A suggestion from SG of an honesty box for bottled water, soft drinks and crisps to be available- this was not wholeheartedly received, but Val will discuss with SG her ideas before proceeding.

VW - The tea/coffee money does not seems to be added up to much, leading to a discussion that perhaps all players including social do not know they need to pay.  Notices are in the kitchen we know – but people do not read!!!

It was suggested that the fees for Social Bowlers next season be put up to £3 per game to include a tea or coffee. This would perhaps be the solution if carried through. To be concluded in January.

VW – Gave us all a copy of the updated renewal / subscription form with explanation and emergency number to be cleared by us and for approval by 15th December 2021 – we must contact her with individual replies.

 

After a very well run meeting by our new Chairman Daphne Smith the meeting ended at 11.44 hours.

 

Date of next meeting 10th January 2022 at 10.00 hours in the clubhouse.

 

Actions to be taken

 

AE – carpet quotes and ideas

VW – shirts order asap

VW – Speak to Terry re induction group

VW – Speak to Sue re form of refreshment honesty provision

BH – Canasta and Games Night plans

CF – Report to CR about President term

CF – Create Addendum for Handbook on Presidential term

CF – Refer to the charge for social bowlers to be £3 per head – create a notice for mail out